Monday, January 2, 2012

Possibilities and Goals

This year is filled with possibilities for us. As I search for a full-time job with benefits, I'm working at the antiques and collectibles. Joanne is working on staying healthy, both physically and emotionally. With metastatic breast cancer & atrial fibrillation, her mental ups and downs can be difficult and play on both of us. We hope to rise above them, so here are some of our goals for our business: 1. Being more organized - making sure our inventory is ready to be priced and easily accessible for updating our space.
2. Using our time wisely - we tend to (okay, more me than her) be a bit fragmented. So, trying to stay on task can be a challenge. This goes with all tasks such as our shopping/thrifting, chores at home, etc. 3. Staying atop of the paperwork - sales taxes, income taxes, income and expense reports, inventory calculations, records of mileage, etc...it's all boring stuff, but it's really important to be sure we're making money or at the very least, breaking even.
4. Being more adventurous in our purchases - we tend to stick with lower purchase prices for fear of making mistakes. It just might be time to make those larger, more expensive purchases. Biting the bullet and spending more may be just the boost our sales could use. 5. Possibly expand our space. We don't want to move quite so fast, but our small area does limit us on what we can sell. Right now, we'll work on getting a curio cabinet to lock the smaller, easier things to swipe, but our idea is to not stay in this teensy place, but to expand and offer our customers some of the great items we have to pass up because of our space limitations.
Something you want to say? Good, bad or otherwise, leave a comment or email us at rozenjoze@verizon.net with BLOG in the subject line.

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best with all your goals for 2012. I look forward to getting to know you better and watching your success SOAR this year.

    I have dreams of doing reselling as well but feel hopelessly disorganized. Working on that is a major goal at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your antique store space looks AMAZING. I need to get on it with my space and increasing sales as well, I suffered an ironic Christmastime slump. I keep asking pros that make tons of sales and keep hearing switching out merch frequently is the secret.

    So let's get on that exhausting merchandise switch-age...

    ReplyDelete
  3. DogsMom - Thanks for the encouragement! Getting organized is a huge part of this, but I must confess, my partner does that better than I do. I'm good at things like pricing, setting the booth up, marketing, etc. There's a lot involved in this...not sure how others do it, but I do whatever works for me.

    Van - Thanks for the kudos! We've had the new space since November 26 and have been going in every week with new stuff...I actually went crazy and bought some vintage Christmas - spending more than I should have, I'm sure - and sprucing it up for the holiday a few times. You're right...switching out stuff keeps people interested in coming back. We are searching for a curio cabinet right now for our smalls to eliminate the theft...do you deal with that, too?

    ReplyDelete